Unlimited Free International Calls & SMS After Activating Google Voice Outside US
Google Voice is a service that google provides in the US using which you can call any one for free in the US & Canada, but for people who are not in the US cannot use this service, I have outlined a workaround below to activate you google voice account outside the US or Canada. There are a couple of softwares you need before you can starting making free unlimited international Calls to the US & canada, or to send free SMS to any country in the world.
- You need a Google Voice Invite, there are only two ways to get this, either you get someone who already has a Google Voice to invite you or apply for an invitation to Google Voice service here https://services.google.com/fb/forms/googlevoiceinvite
- Hotspot shield, to access the google voice service you need use a US Proxy Address, otherwise you’ll see a message saying “Thanks for visiting Google Voice. We are not yet open for users outside the US.” so get http://www.hotspotshield.com/ or any other proxy service whose IP address belongs to the US.
- A SIP Client, the workaround involves you getting a US number for which you need a SIP client. I suggest X-lite Download it from here http://www.counterpath.com/x-lite-download.html ( Note: download X-lite Beta 4 if you are using a Mac OSX since I had no luck configuring X-lite 3.0 on the Mac)
Getting A Free US Number
- Register for a free account at iptel.org http://serweb.iptel.org/user/reg/index.php
- Using the the info from iptel.org register an account at register for a free USA DID with Ipkall here http://phone.ipkall.com/ setting are given below.
- Choose your account type: SIP
- Choose Area Code for your IPKall Number: Choose Any Number
- SIP Phone number: Your iptel.org User ID
- SIP Proxy: sip.iptel.org
- Email Address: Your Email address
- Password: Enter a Password
- # of Seconds to ring before hanging up: 120
- You’ll get a email with a US Number note this down.
Setting For Your SIP Client ( x-lite ) Using iptel.org
After downloading X-lite 3.0 or 4.0 Beta you need to set it up with your iptel.org the setting are given below
- Display Name: Whatever you want
- User Name: Your iptel.org user ID example: clazh
- Password: Your iptel.org Password
- Authorization User Name: Your Iptel.org User ID@iptel.org example: email@example.com
- Domain: iptel.org
If you have entered your SIP settings correctly then you should be able to see Ready/available on your X-lite Screen depending on which version you are using.
Activating The Google Voice Service Outside The US
Make sure your X-lite client is running and SIP account is active before you try to activate your Google Voice Service
Run HotSpot Shield or whatever US proxy number you are using and log on to http://www.google.com/voice
1. The frist screen show you an option to choose any Google Voice US number of your choice. (You can’t change the number later so choose carefully)
2. You’ll be asked to choose a PIN to access your voice mail
3. You need to enter the US Phone number that IPKALL provided for you.
4. The last step requires you to verify your IPKALL Number, make sure you have x-lite configured and running, now just click Call Me Now
5. If you have configured your x-lite correctly it should now ring just enter the two digit number show into the dial pad.
Thats it you are done. You don’t need to use HotSpot Shield any more just log into Google Voice and dial any US number always make sure X-lite is running, since it acts as a proxy number, X-lite will ring just pick up the call and start talking.
You can find a full list of SIP Clients here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_SIP_software
if you are using the iPhone or android you can use Nimbuzz
Credit http://www.how-to-hide-ip.info/ for the Google Voice activation images.